The originally Lutheran church was built in the predominantly German-speaking Teplice on the impetus of the Prussian King Frederick William IV in 1884. The neo-Romanesque building was made of rough bricks and a gigantic rectangular tower sits by the nave, making the complex one of the city’s most visible landmarks. The fate of the church parallels the twisted modern history of Teplice.
After the end of the Second World War, the vast majority of the local German-speaking inhabitants were displaced, and the Lutheran faith disappeared with them. The church then got into the hands of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church, who renamed it Prokop Holý Church. In the 1990’s the city came into possession of the church, selling it to a private investor and it served for a short time as a restaurant and discotheque.
Today it has been preserved, is open to the public as a gallery with a café and primarily with exhibits concerning, for example, the history of the Jewish community in Teplice. As we already explained elsewhere (the link to Jews in Teplice), Jews comprised a considerable part of the Teplice community. Unfortunately, the Synagogue, one of the largest in Europe, was destroyed and with it a large part of the Jewish monuments. That is why Teplice pays tribute to its former fellow citizens at least in this manner.